Can psychedelic drugs, and breathing techniques that achieve similar states, help heal our individual and collective emotional pain? Can they help us transform our society?
I talk with Joe Moore and Kyle Buller of Psychedelics Today, a podcast that features professionals involved with psychedelics and breathwork as tools for mental health and spiritual growth. Their podcast explores the extremely promising use of psychedelics in supported clinical settings to treat PTSD, end-of-life depression, drug and alcohol addiction, and other afflictions.
Joe and Kyle are also facilitators in Transpersonal Breathwork, a powerful breathing technique that is influenced by Czech-born psychiatrist and researcher Stanislav Grof and his wife, Christina Grof.
Here’s what we talk about in this episode’s delicious stuffing:
- The Multidisciplinary Assoc. for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) and their sponsored, peer-reviewed research
- How the War on Drugs delayed this research by decades
- Kyle’s “near death” experience and his path; Joe’s path through philosophy, ayahuasca, and breathwork
- Holotropic Breathwork, a non-substance alternative
- Integration—a key to these therapeutic uses of psychedelics
- The likeness of these journeys to mythic ones
- The role of elders
- Are we entering a psychedelic revolution?
- Inventing new “rites of passage” (beyond getting a driver’s license and being able to buy booze.)
Hope you enjoy it! As always, you’re welcome to leave a message on this episode’s page at The Big Chew Podcast.
As someone who knows first-hand the sucking black vortex of PTSD, I encourage anyone who suffers from it to seek out professionals who can help. Some of the links below might be useful. But this isn’t medical advice. Just sayin’.
By the way, you might hear high-pitched voices in this recording. Those are children. Because our bandwidth here in northeastern Vermont sucks, I record over Skype in the librarian’s office of our tiny local bibliothek. Shut up and read, kids. It’s a library. But I mean that in a good way.
Kyle Buller and Joe Moore’s podcast, Psychedelics Today
http://breckbreath.com/ — Joe’s site